Using New & From Existing rules
Applies to JungleDocs for Office 365.
For a similar tutorial for JungleDocs for SharePoint 2010-2019, click here.
In this tutorial for JungleDocs for Office 365, you will learn about:
- What New & From Existing rules are
- How to create New & From Existing rules
- How to configure New & From Existing rules
- How to use New & From Existing rules to create documents
What are New & From Existing rules
New & From Existing rules let you create documents or list items from scratch. They also let you use the metadata of a selected list item to create a new document or list item. By configuring the rule settings, you can select which columns you would like to copy. The ability to copy field values between items and transforming them along the way is a feature we call Copy Source.
You can use New & From Existing rules to create:
- Contracts, agreements, other legal documents
- Populate different forms
- Quotations, account plans and invoices
- Business proposals
- Project and deliveries documents
- Business letters, labels for envelopes
- HR documents and forms
- And more...!
Frequently asked: what's the difference between New & From Existing rules and Report rules? A rule of thumb to remember how these rules differ is that New & From Existing rules use multiple list items to create multiple documents, whereas Report rules use multiple items to create one document.
How to create a New & From Existing rule?
1. Open JungleDocs for Office 365 and navigate to the New & From Existing tab.
2. Click New rule.
3. Define rule settings and click OK. You can now select and run this rule in JungleDocs for Office 365.
In Modern UI
On the New tab, click Add new.
There are a number of options for configuring your New & From Existing rule. They are explained here.
Note: the options available vary depending on whether you start creating a new rule in a list or in a library. The document saving location matters, too. In the following screenshots, the rule is being created from a library, and the target location is a SharePoint library.
Select whether documents created using this Rule will be saved to a list or library or should be downloaded.
Load settings from another rule
Select this if you want to load settings from another rule. This makes it easier to create new rules.
Rule display name
Select a name for your new rule.
Select the template you want to use for this new rule; edit an existing content type template or add a new custom template. Learn more about creating document templates here.
Small Parts library location
Select the location of your Small Parts library if you want to use this feature. Small Parts let you merge different Word or PowerPoint files into your master template. Learn more about Small Parts here.
Decide what column values from the selected item(s) you want to copy or have inserted into the new document. Here you can configure exactly what data from which columns you want JungleDocs to export to the file which is created when you run the rule.
Configure the settings for document naming automation. With this feature, you can let JungleDocs set document names automatically based on metadata fields, text, sequence, date value etc. You can use this feature to streamline the naming process for all documents in your organisation and
Dynamic saving path
This option allows JungleDocs for Office 365 to automatically select different saving locations - or create new ones - in SharePoint depending on the conditions specified.
Select Remove content controls & placeholders if you do not plan to update this document in the future. You also have the option to hide this rule from the list of rules displayed in the user interface (you can later re-enable the visibility from the Manage rules page). Select Open Document/Item Properties form in SharePoint if you want to be able to edit document metadata before saving it.
To run a New & From Existing rule
1. Navigate to the library or list where you want to create your new documents/list items.
2. Select the documents/list items you want to use data from to create your new list items/documents.
3. Select JungleDocs for Office 365 from the ribbon.
4. Click on the New & From existing rule to run it.
1. There are several options when running your rule.
The default option. It uses the rule settings and the template assigned to this rule.
- Copy Source
Select this option when you want to update the
Select this option if you want to use a custom template while running this rule (i.e. not the template that is assigned to this rule).
2. In case you have selected a rule that includes Small Parts, the Small Parts options menu will open. Select the parts you want to be included in your document and click Generate document.
A new window will open. This window contains the metadata for the document, its name, and any additional notes. Most of the fields will have been filled in by JungleDocs for Office 365 already, as pre-configured in the rule.
3. Click Save and the new document will be generated and save to the target location specified in rule settings.