Using Report rules
In this JungleDocs for Office 365 tutorial, you will learn:
- What Report rules are
- How to create Report rules
- What configuration options there are for Report rules
- How to run Report rules to create documents
1. What are Report Rules?
Report rules let you export your selected, filtered or SharePoint list view items and Document library metadata into documents. An example of a Report rule would be a sales report.
You could use Report rules for:
- Sales and legal reports
- Invoices (by selecting products/services to include)
- Meetings, calendar, agendas
- Project summaries or reports
- Document indexes
- Any type of report
- And many more...!
- Quotation and invoice generation
- License and certificate generation
- Exporting customer data for reviewing
Frequently asked: what's the difference between New & From Existing rules and Report rules? A rule of thumb to remember how these rules differ is that New & From Existing rules use multiple list items to create multiple documents, whereas Report rules use multiple items to create one document.
2. How to create a Report rule
To start creating reports with JungleDocs for Office 365 you will need to create a Report rule and a document template with content controls. In this document
- Navigate to the Reports tab in JungleDocs 365.
- To add a Report rule click New rule.
- A new window will now open, prompting the user to configure the new Report rule.
- Configure your Report rule (select the name, target location, template, naming automation, etc.)
- Once you have configured your new Report rule, click Save to save it. You are now done and can select the new rule from the Reports tab in JungleDocs 365.
You want to export three SharePoint list items to a Word document. To export them you will select the items, open the app and run the Report rule. After you clicked the rule, JungleDocs for Office 365 will include each of the selected items to the ReportItems content control in the document template assigned to this rule.
Now JungleDocs for Office 365 will reuse the content control for each item you selected. For three selected items, the content control will be used three times. In this case, the result, if your content control was set on a table row, would be three rows. If it was set for a page with a page break, the output would be three separate pages.
You could use a template with a ReportItems content control to export the below list items (or a selection of them) to a Word document.
When running the rule you result would then look like this:
You might also be interested in our example case of creating a sales quote.
3. Configuration options
There are a number of options for configuring your Report rule. They are explained here.
Select whether documents created using this Rule will be saved to a list or library or should be downloaded.
Load settings from another rule
Select this if you want to load settings from another rule. This makes it easier to create new rules.
Rule display name
Select a name for your new rule.
Select the template you want to use for this new rule; edit an existing content type template or add a new custom template.
Learn more about creating document templates her e.
Small Parts library location
Select the location of your Small Parts library if you want to use this feature. Small Parts let you merge different Word or PowerPoint files into your master template.
Learn more about Small Parts here.
Configure column automation (Smart Copy)
Decide what column values from the selected item(s) you want to copy or have inserted into the new document. Here you can configure exactly what data from which columns you want JungleDocs to export to the file which is created when you run the rule.
Configure the settings
Read more about the best practices for document management in our blog series here.
Select Remove content controls & placeholders if you do not plan to update this document in the future. You also have the option to hide this rule from the list of rules displayed in the user interface. You can later re-enable the visibility from the Manage rules page.
4. How to run a Report rule
- Navigate to the list from which items you want to create a report.
- Select the list items you want to use to create a report.
- Open JungleDocs 365 from the ribbon.
- Click on the required Report rule to run it.
- This will prompt a new side panel to open. Click Generate document.
- The new document will be generated and stored on your SharePoint (or downloaded, depending on the rule settings).